Forces Combine for Big Housing Week in Washington
Innovative and affordable housing will be the central topics in Washington, D.C., June 1-5 as the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development hosts its inaugural Innovative Housing Showcase on the National Mall.
In addition, the Manufactured Housing Institute will hold its annual Fly-in legislative update that same week, moved up to coincide with the new national event.
‘Innovative Housing Showcase’ on the National Mall June 1-5
HUD Sec. Ben Carson announced in March that the department would host the showcase June 1-5 on the National Mall.
Organizers position the event as one that should “educate policy makers and the broader public on the new housing innovations and building technologies that are addressing affordable housing challenges across the country.”
The homes on the National Mall will feature solutions to make housing more affordable for American families and more resilient during natural disasters, HUD said in its announcement.
The Showcase is Open to the Public, Free of Charge
Seventeen exhibitors are scheduled through the week to show new products, programs and services related to innovative and informative housing. Those exhibitors include Cavco Industries, Skyline Champion and UMH Properties, all representatives from the manufactured housing industry. Other exhibitors include Boxabl, Oak Ridge National Laboratories, and Snap Space Solutions.
Schedule for Innovative Housing Showcase
Each day during the Showcase is designated for a target audience. Following is an overview of HUD’s schedule for the Innovative Housing Showcase.
- Saturday, June 1: General Public Day with opening remarks from HUD Sec. Ben Carson as well as a professional panel moderated by Rich Binsacca, of Professional Builder Magazine.
- Sunday, June 2: State/Local Government Day includes a presentation on the latest building innovations and technologies as well as a talk on local solutions to housing problems.
- Monday, June 3: Federal Government Day includes remarks from FHFA Director Mark Calabria and a panel on disaster recovery and mitigation.
- Tuesday, June 4: Capitol Hill Day includes opening remarks from the National Association of Home Builders CEO Jerry Howard as well as a discussion on impacts of housing policy.
- Wednesday, June 5: Industry Day includes a panel on “A Holistic Approach to Veteran Housing and Healing” as well as a forecast on what the next 10 years may hold for real estate.
Homes on the Hill and MHI Fly-in June 3-4
The Manufactured Housing Institute, the nation’s lone representative for all aspects of the factory-built housing industries, invites its members to Washington, D.C., each year for a legislative update. This year the event has been moved up a week to coincide with HUD’s Innovative Housing Showcase.
Following is MHI’s schedule for its two days:
Monday, June 3
2 p.m.: Orientation and Issues Meeting
5 p.m.: Networking Reception
Tuesday, June 4
7:30 a.m.: Breakfast and Issues Meeting
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.: Meetings in Congressional Offices
Noon: Lunch and Champions of Homeownership Awards
4:30 p.m.: Networking Reception
MHI members can still register for Home on the Hill, and sponsorship opportunities for the event remain as well. Also, association members are eligible for special pricing on hotel reservations at The Liaison while occupancy remains.
Check Back Regularly with MHInsider Through June 5 for Updates on Housing News from Washington, D.C.
MHVillage, the publisher of MHInsider magazine and blog, as well as Datacomp Appraisal, will have team members on Capitol Hill during the first week of June to provide insight, news and updates for manufactured housing professionals.